Ardabil Grand Bazaar
Ardabil Grand Bazaar is a Safavid (1501–1736) market at the heart of the city. The bazaar consists of several sub-bazaars, markets, public bathes and mosques.
The bazaar was once a vaulted street with arched ceilings and lightwells that provided lighting for the shops in the bazaar. Some of the most famous sub-bazaars include Butchers Market, Carpenters Bazaar, Textile Merchants Row, Knife Merchants Bazaar, Qeisarieh, and Hat-makers Bazaar.
In the Safavid era some of the shops and sub-bazaars belonged to the Sheikh Safi-ad-din Ardabili Shrine and were used for the upkeep of the complex. Additions and renovations were made to the Ardabil Grand Bazaar during the Zand (1750-1794) and Qajar (1785-1925) eras. The bazaar underwent renovations after the 1979 Islamic Revolution of Iran and was registered as a National Heritage Site in 1985.