Shazdeh Hossein Shrine
Shazdeh Hossein Shrine in Qazvin is the mausoleum of one of the sons of the eighth Shia imam Ali ibn Musa al-Reza (765-818). During the Safavid era (1501–1736) a shrine was built around the tomb of this descendant of the prophet. He later became known as Shazdeh (prince) Hossein and the mausoleum became a pilgrimage site for the people of Qazvin. The northern entrance of the mausoleum resembles gates to Safavid era cities and has an arch and six minarets covered in delicately designed tiles. Around the main courtyard of the shrine, there are iwans with tilework. The entrance of the tomb has moqarnas decorations, which were added during the Qajar era (1785–1925). The interior of the shrine has mirror work and seven-colored tile decorations. The interior of the dome is covered in Thulth inscriptions over a Persian blue background. The oldest part of the shrine is its latticed wooden doors, which dates back to 1560. According to a moarraq tile inscription in the shrine, Shah Tahmasb Safavi’s daughter, Zinat Beigom, ordered the renovation of the shrine in 1630 donated and a precious wooden chest to cover the tomb chamber.